The Reception Center was built from the volunteer labor of local residents. It houses modern rest rooms, a small gift shop and displays of artifacts from ancient times.
Among the artifacts on exhibit are barb-wire and ancient weaving.
The Fred Stratton Home is the childhood home of Frank Stratton one of the founders of the Museum. It was moved to this site from near the town of Wastina, 7 miles south and 3 miles west, where it was used as a storage shed. It was donated to the Museum by Venita Branch. Her daughter and son-in-law, Joan and Bud Radke, assisted in moving it. The house was originally constructed on the Stratto
The Land Office is one of newest additions to the site. This log structure is typical of the structures of the area and period. It was rescued by the Fort Rock Historical Society from a development site on the outskirts of Bend where is was facing certain destruction.
This is the original office building used by the noteworthy pioneer doctor Dr. Thom. The office was located in Silver Lake and was rescued after it was scheduled to be burned. Dr. Thom was the only practicing physician in the entire area during the 1918 influenza epidemic, and he brought the whole valley thru that tenable time, only losing one patient.
Built in 1910 at Butte Place, near Fremont, 4.5 miles west and 3.5 miles north.
The Menkenmair Cabin is the only remaining log cabin in the valley. It has a rather tragic history. Once the home of George & Hazel Menkenmair and their two children, Beatrice and Boots.
it remained unoccupied for many years. Hazel was killed by a runaway accident while raking hay and George died of a fatal illness a
This is the newest addition to the Homestead Village, and was the original Fort Rock Mercantile where folks bought groceries and gas. It was donated to the museum in 2009.
Built in 1918 in the town of Fleetwood, 11 miles east, 1 mile north
St. Rose Catholic Church was the only real church building in the whole valley during the homestead years. It was moved from its original location on a corner of the Godon Ranch, about twelve miles NE of Fort Rock Village. It was being vandalized and would now be a heap of rubble if it had not been rescued by the Fort Rock Valle
Built in 1911 near Cougar Mountain, 8 miles east, 3 miles north.
The Bodenheimer house was one of a few two story houses in the valley. It was built by a German carpenter. All his neighbors thought that he was a bachelor and wondered why he was building such a "large" house.
When it was completed, his wife and two children came over from the valley. She took one look at the house and th
Built between 1915-17 in the town of Fort Rock, 5 miles east, 3 miles north
The Webster Cabin and the Dr. Thom Office were the first buildings that formed the base of the homestead museum. The cabin was the first home of Britt Webster and his wife.
It was originally located about ten miles NE of the museum site.
Built between 1911-18 in the town of Fleetwood, 10.5 miles east, 1.25 miles north
The Belletable house is probably the largest ever built during the Homestead years. The Belletables were better off than most of the homesteaders and had several children. The house was used as the reception center until the new reception center was built. It was moved in from a location close to the church. The
Built in 1912, 6 miles east and 1.5 miles south
The Sunset School is the last free-standing public school from that era of the twenty that once dotted the Valley. It was moved into Fort Rock from its final location northeast of the museum about half way between the Derrick and Stingley ranches. It was first moved to Fort Rock where it served as the community church for several years. When the